Tuesday, June 20, 2006

DISARRAY

Tonight, I am nearly certain who ever is in control of my (former) e-mail and web server is using it to gain access to various online accounts of mine. For example, I can no longer access my Monster.ca account. Who ever this person is, they are using the password reset function to get passwords e-mailed to my account. From there, they reset the password to whatever they want and thereby locking my out. The situation has gotten serious.

I am, however, confident no other important accounts are linked to my erwintang.com address. I am somewhat worried though about the number of files that I have on my server. This is no doubt this person has read my resume already. That contains my address and phone number. I am trying to remember what other files I may have left on the server which might comprise my identity. I do not believe any banking information is on my site.

Frustratingly, the server admin has been impossible to contact in France. I was forced to call the network operations centre and pleaded with the guy on duty to bring down my server so that no more e-mails would come into the hands of this hacker. He has temporarily brought down the server until he can get confirmation from Stephen in France. Oh by the way, apparently, he's away for three weeks. Perfect timing.

I have moved swiftly on other fronts as well. Just minutes ago, I bought a year's worth of hosting from GoDaddy.com. I have changed the DNS records for my domain. Starting in about 8 hours, servers will begin to redirect traffic going to erwintang.com to my new host. In one week, all traffic will resolve to my new server. Hopefully by the time you read this, typing in www.erwintang.com will lead you to a stand-in page.

It will take some time to get everything up and running at the new place but I think this was perhaps a step I should have taken a long time ago.

My fingers are crossed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

This reminds me of when Carolyn, Zanne and myself were being net-stalked by barely literate scumbags last year. Lets all write nasty things about the intruder, and he/she will read them and feel bad for what they are doing and apologise. We could use swear words and everything!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Erwin said...

Oooooh... boy do I have a tongue lashing ready for the hacker!

In any case, it's ok to go back to the old site now. Come see what's new!

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home